BALLET MASTER – REHEARSAL MASTER / MISTRESS
Reporting to the Artistic Director, the candidate will prepare and conduct classes in classical ballet, and supervise rehearsals during the phases of research, creation, production and presentation, according to the company’s artistic program and calendar of activities.
In particular, the candidate will assume the following duties:
- Prepare and lead training classes for dancers and ensure their participation. Take attendance and record absences.
- Inform the artistic direction of the dancers’ quality of work.
- Attend all creative studio work with dancers, memorize the choreography and other elements of the piece and show repertoire choreographies while respecting the original creations as faithfully as possible.
- Ensure all in-studio and on-stage rehearsals run smoothly.
- Manage spacing on stage during shows.
- Attend all performances, ensuring their quality meets established standards, take note of any necessary corrections, problem-solve issues and align the dancers’ work with that of the artistic direction and the specific requirements of the artistic project in question.
- Ensure the safety of the artistic team both in the Montreal studio and on tour, advise dancers and oversee their training program. In the event of a workplace injury or accident, direct the artist to the appropriate resources, making sure to record the incident and advise management as soon as possible.
- Manage all necessary audio-visual equipment and materials (sound system, iPod, CD player, monitor, etc.) for studio and tour rehearsals.
- Assist guest choreographers with their audio-visual equipment needs.
- Make video recordings of various stages of the creative work, document produced material and manage inventory of all BJM audio-visual material (filing, archiving, data bank).
- Participate in artistic meetings and, if required, in productions meetings.
- Perform all other artistic tasks as needed.
To fulfil this mandate, the following qualifications are required:
- 5 years’ experience as a rehearsal master;
- Demonstrated ability to direct teams; independent, dynamic, flexible, meticulous, integrity;
- Fluent in French and English;
- Good knowledge of the dance community.
This is a permanent, full-time position : 38 to 42 weeks / season. Salary will be determined according to qualifications and experience.
Starting date: August, 22nd 2018
Please send a covering letter and résumé before July,1st 2018
Louis Robitaille, Artistic Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those candidates selected will be contacted.