CAREERS // BJM
Ballets Jazz Montréal is a contemporary ballet repertoire company that will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2022. As an internationally recognized touring company, the organization honours its dynamic history grounded in creation and accessibility while fostering a positive and supportive work environment under the artistic direction of Alexandra Damiani, as of June 2021.
Ballets Jazz Montréal is seeking to fill the position of:
Reporting to the Artistic Director, the candidate will prepare and conduct company classes, and lead rehearsals during the phases of research, creation, production and presentation at home as well as abroad, according to the company’s artistic program and calendar of activities.
In particular, the candidate will assume the following duties:
- Prepare and lead daily company classes in ballet. Based on the demands of the active repertoire or of the creation in process at that time, the candidate will be able to prepare and guide the dancers through contemporary classes, improvisations, and/or any other teaching practices that will best serve the dancers;
- Guard and uphold the integrity of the active repertoire. In coordination with the Artistic Coordinator ensure that the creations are vigorously archived and documented;
- Plan the daily schedule of the company with sensitivity and vision in order to inspire the dancers while ensuring that the objectives are met;
- Support the dancers and the work while on tour (20-25 weeks) – in accordance with the tour director and the technical director, create the daily schedule, lead company class, be able to guide the technical rehearsals of the show, take notes/form feedback during the show to ensure that dancers are continuously challenged and nurtured. The candidate will be able to anticipate and showcase great adaptability and flexibility while responding to challenges the company may face while on tour;
- Participate in active, respectful and transparent communication with the Artistic Director and the entire company, as well as collaborators, guests and volunteers;
- Ensure that all artistic activities are smoothly organized, coordinated and executed in collaboration with Artistic Director and Artistic Coordinator (guest classes, accompanists, auditions, master classes, photo shoots, costume fittings and more);
- Undergo a first aid training provided by the organization and act as a First Responder on tour and in the studio;
- Uphold a positive work environment that is respectful, inclusive and inspiring. The candidate will engage in the core values guiding the organization: curiosity, commitment, participation and creativity;
- Represent the company and act in a way that upholds the image and the reputation of the organization. The candidate will have a good understanding of the actual local, national and international dance scenes.
- 10 years teaching experience in the professional dance world;
- 5 years + experience as rehearsal director, stager and/or choreographers’ assistant;
- Extensive training in ballet and contemporary forms, as well as professional performance experience;
- Command of French and English;
- Availability for touring (20 to 25 weeks per year);
- Basic computer skills.
This is a permanent position. Salary commensurate upon experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume with references by e-mail to:
Applications will be accepted until 5pm, Sunday January 22, 2022.
We thank all applicants and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ballets Jazz Montréal is committed to creating a socially and culturally diverse environment ans is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.